Limited Warranty for Wood Doors
Engineered Wood Products, Inc – Warrants its newly manufactured wood doors, subject to terms below, for a period of five (5) years for interior doors and one (1) years for exterior doors against defects in materials and workmanship.
This warranty extends only to the original purchaser at retail, and is effective for: Interior Doors - Five (5) years from the date of sale to the original purchaser. Exterior Doors - One (1) years from the date of sale to the original purchaser. This is the sole express warranty with respect to your door. Employees and representatives of Engineered Wood Products, Inc are not authorized to alter or modify this Limited Warranty. Any other warranty arising by operation of law is limited to a term of one year from the date of sale to the original purchaser at retail. The parties specifically agree that the Fond du Lac County, WI Court is the exclusive forum which has jurisdiction over any claim or dispute arising out of this transaction.
Any implied warranties which the purchaser may have are limited in duration to one year from date of shipment.
Upon receipt of written notice of a defect, Engineered Wood Products, Inc will, at its option, and subject to sections below, repair or replace, without charge, defective components of the door as necessary to restore the door to normal functioning, or refund the purchase price of the door.
Engineered Wood Products, Inc will not pay any costs of removing, transporting, machining, finishing, pre-hanging, or reinstalling defective or replacement doors. Action on any claim for wrap or telegraphing defects may be deferred for up to 12 months to permit conditioning of the door to temperature and humidity conditions.
Obtaining Warranty Service
To obtain warranty service, return your door to the retailer from whom the door was purchased. You must be able to prove the date the door was purchased in order to verify it is still under warranty. Your dated sales receipt is adequate proof of the date of purchase. If corrective measures are not taken promptly, contact:
Engineered Wood Products, Inc
Attn: Customer Service
1396 Capital Drive
Fond du Lac, WI 54937
Claims under this limited warranty must be made in writing within the warranty period and before any repair work is started. Claims should detail the original invoice number, invoice date, the nature of the problem, the specific items from the invoice and the distributor or customer who purchased the product from Engineered Wood Products, Inc.
A Return Goods Authorization (RGA) form must be submitted for approval prior to the return of any merchandise. Please indicate the invoice number and date, the distributor name and a description of the defect.
Returned or Replacement Product Policy
If you have a warranty claim and would like to return product for repair or order a replacement product, the following format is our policy:
- If you are unsure of whether or not you have a valid claim, you may contact distributor or factory customer service for assistance.
- Replacement product may be ordered before an Engineered Wood Products, Inc representative inspects the problem product, However, final warranty inspection and credit decision will be made at the factory upon return of defective product. If the claim is found to be invalid, no credit will be issued against the replacement product.
- To reduce your exposure of invalid warranty claims, we strongly recommend that the product in question be returned prior to replacement product being ordered.
- Prior to returning warranty product:
- Identify each item by taping an RGA form to each item with appropriate information filled out.
- Repackage the items in question in the same way that you received them.
- Notify Factory Customer Service when the product is ready for pick-up. Customer Service will arrange for freight pick-up.
- If defective items are not returned to the factory within thirty (30) days of replacement item shipment, no credit will be issued for the defective item(s).
Shortages and/or Defective Merchandise
If your order has an apparent shortage, please contact the Customer Service Department of Engineered Wood Products, Inc within five (5) days after receipt of your order.
Defective merchandise must be reported within thirty (30) days of receipt of your order. Defective products must be held by the customer for inspection. Merchandise which has been disposed of will not be considered for claims. Engineered Wood Products, Inc must approve all returns and transportation of defective merchandise.
Limitations of Remedies
The remedies of this Limited Warranty described above are exclusive and are the only ones Engineered Wood Products, Inc will provide under this Limited Warranty or under any warranty arising by operation of law.
Engineered Wood Products, Inc will not be responsible for any consequential or incidental damages arising from breach of this warranty or of any other warranty, whether express, implied or statutory.
Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential damages, so the above limitation or exclusion may not apply to you.
This warranty gives you specific legal rights, and you may also have other rights, which vary from state to state.
The Following Shall Not Be Considered Defects In Material Or Workmanship And Are Not Covered By This Limited Warranty:
- Unsatisfactory service or appearance caused by failure to follow the “Handling, Job Finishing and Installation Instructions” set forth herein is not covered by this warranty.
- Damage caused by failure to perform normal homeowner’s maintenance, including maintaining the finish.
- Damage or malfunction caused by any modification, repair, replacement, or reinstallation using a part or service not provided or authorized in writing by Engineered Wood Products, Inc.
- Damage or malfunction caused during transportation of the door.
- Doors exposed to the elements before, during or after installation, including doors used in exterior applications.
- Damage or malfunction resulting from the abuse, accident, improper use, negligence, earthquake, fire, flood or other force of nature.
- Warp for any door 1-3/4" to 2-1/4" thick door wider than 42" or taller than 96", or for any 1-3/8" thick doors that are wider than3"0" or higher that 8'0".
- Warp or malfunction resulting from not finishing the product within 28 days from receipt or 35 days from date shipped from factory.
- Warp or malfunction resulting from improper protection from direct sunlight or elements on Exterior doors.
- Exposure coefficient for exterior doos
- H = Distance from bottom of door to base of overhang.
- L = The amount of overhang protection required ratio of L/H is not to be less then .80
- If ratio is less than .80 the warranty is Void.
- Bow of nonalignment in th frame or jamb in which the door is hung if such is purchased from Engineered Wood Products, Inc unmachined and not prehung.
- Variations or unsatisfactory results in gloss level, texture or appearance resuliting from field application of paint or any other finishing material.
- Nature variation in wood tone, color, grain or texture of wood are not to be considered as defects.
- Damage or malfunction caused by extremely low or high humidity.
- A door that is installed, removed or reinstalled by anyone other that the original purchaser at retail who is not an appropriately licensed contractor.
- Attempts to repair Engineered Wood Products, Inc products other than by Engineered Wood Products, Inc.
- Hardwood surgace checks that are less than 1/32" in width and/or 2" in length: Knotty Alder surface checks that are less than 1/8" in width and/or 5" high.
- Panel movement (shrinkage) of 1/4" or less. Temperature and humidity may cause wood panels in your door to shrink, leaving an unstained line along the panel edge. The panels in your door have been designed to "float".
- Damage caused by extreme temperature buildup where a storm door is utilized. Storm doors must be vented to eliminate this temperature buildup.
- Slight expansion and contraction due to varying environmental conditions, such as temperature and humidity.
- Door shipped outside teh continental United States, Hawaii or Canada are not warranted. If the claimed non-conformith is warp, Engineered Wood Products, Inc may defer repairing or replacing the product of a period of up to twelve (12) months form the date of claim or the date when the products was installed, as it is not uncommon for temporary wap consitions to occur as the door adjust to local humidity and temperature conditions. This deferral will not be counted against the warranty period.
Handling, Job Finishing and Installation Instructions
- Store flat on a level surface in a dry, well ventilated building. Cover to keep clean and avoid discoloration with opaque covering which does not permit light to penetrate. Covering must allow air circulation. Relative humidity should not be less than 25% or greater than 55% to aid in preventing warping and Photographing. Avoid exposure to direct sunlight or artificial light as some veneers will change color when exposed to light.
- Deliver at building site after plaster or cement is dry. If doors are stored at job site for more than one week, at least top and bottom edges should be sealed.
- Handle with clean gloves, and do not drag doors across one another or across other surfaces.
- Doors should not be subject to abnormal heat, dryness or humidity, or sudden changes therein. They should be conditioned to the average prevailing humidity of the locality before hanging.
- The utility or structural strength of the door must not be impaired in the fitting of the door, the application of hardware, or cutting and altering the door for lights, louvers, panels or any other special details. Cutting for electric strikes or other hardware may impair the structural strength of the frame.
- Use three hinges per door on doors 7’0” in height or less, and four hinges per door on doors over 7’0” in height. Hinges should be set flush with edge surface. Be sure that hinges are set in a straight line to prevent distortion. Allow approximately 3/16” clearance for swelling of the door or frame during future damp weather periods.
- Avoid placing heating registers too near a door (at least 4 feet away). Excessive heat on one area of the door creates drying out which results in warp, twist, and checking on the faces.
- Immediately after fitting, or cutting for closers, weather-strip and/or threshold, and before hanging any interior or exterior door on the job, the entire door, including top and bottom edges, lock bores and hinge pockets must receive three coats of a good paint, varnish, lacquer or sealer to prevent undue absorption of moisture. Adequate drying time must be allowed between coats.
- Exterior finishes shall be used on the exterior surfaces of all exterior doors. Where installed for outward swing with no protection from the elements, door must be properly protected by flashing or other suitable means.
- Before finishing, door surfaces must be clean and dry, and moisture content no higher than average, Doors should not be considered ready for finishing when received. Before finishing remove handling marks, raised grain or cross grain scratches, burnishes or machining marks, and any other undesirable blemish by sanding all surfaces in a horizontal position in the direction of the grain.
- Some species of wood contain a chemical (oak particularly) which reacts unfavorably with certain finishes. Where possible, the surface should be tested for such unfavorable reaction. Application of a sealer before finishing will usually prevent this difficulty.
- Apply at least three coats of a good grade oil base mixed paint, varnish or lacquer, and follow supplier’s instructions carefully. Dark colored stains should be avoided for Exterior applications. Do not use water-thinned paint unless an oil base primer coat is first applied.
- To prevent an imbalance, the same consistency of finish must be applied on both sides of the door. On exterior doors, an exterior finish must be applied on both sides.
IF ALL INSTRUCTIONS ARE NOT ADHERED TO, THE WARRANTY WILL BE VOIDED.
There are no warranties that extend beyond the foregoing, and the manufacturer’s sole responsibility under this guarantee is as stated herein. It shall not be liable for consequential, indirect or incidental damages, or for any amount in excess of the manufacturer’s price for the shipment involved, whether the claim is for breach of warranty or negligence.